It wasn’t really time yet to change the oil, but with the lack of riding I figured if my bike was going to sit, it might as well sit with clean oil in it. So, why not do a write up while I’m at it. The DR oil change is a very simple job, but if you are thinking about paying someone to do it, you might want to take a few min and see just how easy it is…
First, gather the tools you will need. A 17mm wrench or socket, an 8mm wrench or socket, a bucket, and a funnel. Optional stuff would be shop rags, kitty litter, and a magnetic parts tray.
Next find the 17mm drain plug under the engine
Next, take out the plug and drain the oil. If you don’t have a center stand, lean the bike so it’s straight up to drain all the oil.
Remove the 8mm oil filter cover bolts.
Then remove the oil filter.
The small O-ring might stay attached to the engine like mine did, or it might stay on the filter.
If the O-ring is damaged then replace it. Not worth losing all your oil or letting it go unfiltered for a $3.00 set of O-rings. Just get them when you buy the filter.
Clean all the mating surfaces and install the new filter. Put the cover back on and tighten the bolts. I’m sure there is a torque spec, but I just tighten them a bit past snug. They are small and the engine is aluminium, so you don’t want to strip out the threads. That would not be fun. Been there, done that, should have bought stock in helicoil!
The oil should be done draining by now, but you can tip the bike back and fourth to make sure it’s all out. Then re-install the drain plug, remember you are still tightening it into aluminum. Don’t go crazy!
Now get your funnel and dump in two quarts of oil. The DR holds 2300ml and a quart is just under 1000 so it will hold at least two.
Then I hold the bike level while I fill it to just a hair under the full line in the sight window.
Then put the filler plug back in, and start the bike. Let it run while you check for any leaks.
If there are no leaks, shut the bike off and let it sit for a minute so the oil can drain back into the bottom of the engine case. Re-check the oil level, add any if needed and you are done!
Even with taking the pictures it took me less then 10 minutes. I wont get into what oil is best because that discussion never ends well. Use what you like and change it when you think it needs it. That’s the best advice I’ll give on that.
Because everything went so smoothly it reminded me of a silly story I read a long time ago…
Oil Change instructions for Women:
1) Pull up to Jiffy Lube when the mileage reaches 3000 miles since the last oil change..
2) Drink a cup of coffee
3) 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.
Oil Change: $20.00
Oil Change instructions for Men :
1) Wait until Saturday, drive to auto parts store and buy a case of oil, filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner and a scented tree, write a check for $50.00.
2) Stop by 7/11 and buy a case of beer, write a check for $20, drive home.
3) Open a beer and drink it.
4) Jack car up. Spend 30 minutes looking for jack stands.
5) Find jack stands under kid’s pedal car.
6) In frustration, open another beer and drink it.
7) Place drain pan under engine.
8) Look for 9/16 box end wrench.
9) Give up and use crescent wrench.
10) Unscrew drain plug.
11) Drop drain plug in pan of hot oil: splash hot oil on you in process. Cuss..
12) Crawl out from under car to wipe hot oil off of face and arms.Throw kitty litter on spilled oil.
13) Have another beer while watching oil drain.
14) Spend 30 minutes looking for oil filter wrench.
15) Give up; crawl under car and hammer a screwdriver through oil filter and twist off.
16) Crawl out from under car with dripping oil filter splashing oil everywhere from holes. Cleverly hide old oil filter among trash in trash can to avoid environmental penalties. Drink a beer.
17) Install new oil filter making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to gasket surface.
18) Dump first quart of fresh oil into engine.
19) Remember drain plug from step 11.
20) Hurry to find drain plug in drain pan.
21) Drink beer.
22) Discover that first quart of fresh oil is now on the floor. Throw kitty litter on oil spill.
23) Get drain plug back in with only a minor spill. Drink beer.
24) Crawl under car getting kitty litter into eyes. Wipe eyes with oily rag used to clean drain plug. Slip with stupid crescent wrench tightening drain plug and bang knuckles on frame removing any excess skin between knuckles and frame.
25) Begin cussing fit.
26) Throw stupid crescent wrench.
27) Cuss for additional 5 minutes because wrench hit bowling trophy.
29) Clean up hands and bandage as required to stop blood flow.
31) Dump in five fresh quarts of oil.
33) Lower car from jack stands..
34) Move car back to apply more kitty litter to fresh oil spilled during any missed steps.
36) Test drive car.
37) Get pulled over: arrested for driving under the influence.
38) Car gets impounded.
39) Call loving wife, make bail.
40) 12 hours later, get car from impound yard.
Impound fee: $75.00
But you know the job was done right!”